news feature
October 20, 2006




Fire displaces long-time Westside residents
story and photos by Patrick Dobson

Fire destroyed Thomas Reyes’ self-built house at 1740 Belleview on Kansas City’s Westside on Oct. 14. The fire originated in the kitchen, just feet away from where the 93-year-old Reyes, his daughter Becky, and nine other members of their extended family were sleeping.

Firefighters assay the fire in the Reyes’ home at 1740 Belleview on Kansas City’s Westside.

Just moments before the fire began, teachers and students of Christo Del Rey High School at 207 W. Linwood had arrived to survey the house and organize their work for the day. They were planning to make repairs and renovations to Reyes’ house under the auspices of the charitable group Christmas in October. Members of the group were deciding where to stack material and get people to work when the house caught fire.

Firefighters from the Westside and Westport fire stations work to open siding as the fire spreads through the lower story of the house. Painted on the back of his house and visible from West Pennway, Thomas Reyes artwork, representing the two bleeding hands of Christ, was an icon on Kansas City’s Westside.

Reyes’ eight-year-old great granddaughter had just begun cooking breakfast around 8 a.m. when a curtain above the stove caught fire. The flames spread through the house in minutes, allowing the little girl, the high school workers and their supervisors to roust Reyes and his family, and get them out of the house. In all, workers evacuated 12 people from the house.

The fire absorbed the cracks and pops of burning wood in a striking whoosh sound, almost louder than the shouts of firefighters. Some 15 people working with Christmas in October and a group of neighbors stood silently watching the house burn. Their faces showed the disappointment and pain for Reyes. He and his family have been members of the Westside community for decades.

Members of Christo del Rey High School, who were preparing to make repairs to the Reyes house as part of Christmas in October, watch the fire with neighbors in an alley off West Pennway.

“We just had time to get the family out,” said Raymond Castaneda. “We had just arrived, were there only about five minutes, when we smelled smoke. The fire was through most of the house by the time we got them out.”

Castaneda and his son, Raymond Jr., were disheartened, but happy that no one was hurt. “It’s kind of a miracle,” Raymond Jr. said. “My dad went in to see what he could do about the fire and it was just too big. We had to go.”

Raymond Castaneda and his son Raymond Jr., working with Christmas in October, were in the Reyes house when fire raced through the structure from the kitchen. “We just had time to get the family out,” said Castaneda. “We had just arrived, were there only about five minutes, when we smelled smoke. The fire was through most of the house by the time we got them out.”

Most of the family, still wiping sleep from their eyes, left the house without shoes on their feet. Neighbors and family brought shoes for the Reyes, and later went back home to retrieve food, drink and blankets for the family.

At least one family member, Alex, arrived not knowing her grandfather’s house was burning. She drove her car quickly into the alley behind the house, where many of the spectators were standing. She jumped from her car, grabbed her daughter, Rosie, from the backseat, gave the child to Thomas and rushed off to talk to firefighters and family about the blaze.

Reyes stood just outside his back fence at the head of the crowd, the year-old Rosie in his arm. He watched as firefighters attacked his house with water, gaffs and axes. He smiled and shook neighbors’ hands, always with his eyes focused on his house.

“I had insurance for a while, for two or three years,” he said. “I had to drop it after a while. I tried to get it again, but they don’t insure these kinds of houses anymore, you know.”

Thomas Reyes holds his great granddaughter, Rosie, as they watch firefighters attempt to stop the spread of fire through their house.

He was circumspect and said there was little to do except keep a good attitude and leave things in God’s hands. The house, he said, had been good for him and his family. Thirty years ago, Reyes had a small shotgun house. He decided to expand beginning in the early 1980s.

Since then, he had built a sprawling house, adding one room onto another. He did all the work with family and friends. His extended family, many of whom work at night, often stayed in the house. Many times, he had upwards of fifteen people staying in the house at one time.

Two Kansas City, MO, fire companies fought the blaze for over three hours. Firefighters took breaks, washing their heads in water from leaky fire hoses and taking breaks on the bumpers of their trucks.

Tangles of fire hoses run from the street to the Reyes house. At one time, some seven firefighters were in the Reyes house battling the blaze.

Becky, wrapped in a blanket and standing in the spray of water, waited until the fire was completely out and the firefighters packed up to leave before she left to stay with relatives nearby. “I just have to stay,” she said. “All we have is in there.”

Amid the spray of water, a firefighter works to punch a hole in the roof of the Reyes house to let out smoke and heat. Heat rising from a window on the porch below the firefighter distorts the rails of the ladder.

Patrick Dobson can be contacted at


2006 Discovery Publications, Inc. 1501 Burlington, Ste. 207, North Kansas City, MO 64116
(816) 474-1516; toll free (800) 899-9730; fax (816) 474-1427

The contents of eKC are the property of Discovery Publications, Inc., and protected under Copyright.
No portion may be reproduced in whole or part by any means without the permission of the publisher. Read our Privacy Policy.