An Open Letter of Conscience and Choice To All Spiritual,
Metaphysical, Yoga and Meditation Communities
by Robert Rabbin, Rabbi Michael Lerner, John Friend, Stephen Mitchell,
Dan Millman, Riane Eisler, Tom Hayden, et al.
There are times
in life when we must act. And when those moments come, we must act
with our truest heart, our clearest mind and our noblest intentions.
November 2 is such a time. On that day, we will take in hand one of
the tools for social transformation.
We will exercise our right to vote, and our responsibility
to voice our values and conscience. We will choose a new president
and vice president. We, the signers of this letter, after full consideration,
careful study and deep reflection, endorse and recommend John Kerry
and John Edwards for these offices. We urge all of you to vote for
them. This is a matter of great importance and urgency.
The Kerry/Edwards ticket is not perfect, and we have many serious
disagreements with them, especially in the area of militarism and
defense spending. But Howard Dean rightfully cautions us to not let
perfection become the enemy of the good. In this election, we have
two clear choices. By any standard or measure-policy, ideology, humanity,
truthfulness Kerry is better by far than George W. Bush, and
Edwards is better by far than Dick Cheney. We believe their cabinet
selections and their many other appointments, including to the Supreme
Court, will be better by far than those of George W. Bush. We urge
you to vote for John Kerry and John Edwards.
There are many reasons to not vote: cynicism, apathy,
distrust of candidates, or the conviction that spirit transcends politics
and we dare not risk our spiritual brightness by descending into the
murky depths of political darkness and intrigue. But these are not
legitimate reasons. It is an inappropriate spiritual response to our
times to be socially aloof and politically uninvolved. The Dalai Lama
"Sometimes we look down on politics, criticizing
it as dirty. However, if you look at it properly, politics in itself
is not wrong. With good motivation sincerity and honesty
politics becomes an instrument in the service of society."
The self-evident fact of inter-dependence will not allow us to stand
on the sidelines of life, to ignore what is happening in our own backyards.
We live in society, and society lives in us. This awareness requires
responsibility. This awareness requires participation. This awareness
We all know from our studies, practice and experience that the inner
and the outer are more than mirror images of each other: They are
each other. There is no separation, no difference, no distance between
them. This is why the philosopher J. Krishnamurti said, "The
crisis is not out there in the world; it is in our own consciousness."
A flower is not separate from its fragrance.
We have been refining our inner consciousness. We have been purifying
our inner consciousness. We have been liberating our inner consciousness
from the stranglehold of limiting and hurtful beliefs and images and
concepts. For years, we have taken this "hero's journey"
to inner truth, freedom, and wisdom in order to become whole and free.
But we have not taken this journey for ourselves alone; we have also
taken this journey for others and for our world.
It is not just for ourselves that we love wisdom and practice compassion,
not just for ourselves that we pursue truth instead of falsehood,
not just for ourselves that we ask those fearsome questions that lead
to knowledge of the soul. No, it is not just for ourselves that we
do this. We do it equally for others. Our very quest for wholeness
of being is at its core a service to others. The Kabbalah reminds
us, "First we receive the light, then we impart the light. Thus
we repair the world." And now it is time to begin healing this
world, our world, in the same way we have sought to heal ourselves
from the diseases of hatred, violence, and greed; in the same way
we have sought to heal our own hearts of anger born of fear, and fear
born of separation.
Voting for John Kerry and John Edwards is a positive step towards
this social healing. To be sure, it is just one step in a long journey,
but one we should all take on Nov. 2.
Signed (as private citizens, not as representatives
of any organization):
- Robert Rabbin, writer, speaker, creator of www.TruthForPresident.org
- Stephen Mitchell, writer
- Rabbi Michael Lerner, author, editor of Tikkun magazine
- John Friend, founder of Anusara Yoga
- Sharon Steffensen, yoga teacher, editor of YOGAChicago
- Dan Millman, author, teacher
- Riane Eisler, author of The Chalice & The Blade
and The Power of Partnership
- Tom Hayden, author, activist, former California legislator
- Katchie Gaard, Anusara yoga teacher, dancer, and activist
- Amy Kahn, yoga teacher
- David Lurey, yoga teacher
- Saniel Bonder, author, founder of Waking Down in Mutuality work
- Judith Whitson, publisher, writer, lecturer, teacher
- William W. Whitson, writer, speaker, retired Army officer
- Jonathan Granoff, Esq. (Ahamed Muhaiyaddeen), author, screenwriter,
- Larry Robinson, Vice-mayor, Sebastopol, CA
- Tami Coyne, author, spiritual teacher
- Pamela Miles, founder of Institute for the Advancement of Complementary
- Gilles Marin, author, founder of Chi Nei Tsang Institute
- Raphael Cushnir, author, spiritual teacher
- Stephen Dinan, author of Radical Spirit, progressive activist
- Sandra Sedgbeer, publisher of PlanetLightworker & Children
of the New Earth
- Connie Shaw, publisher of Sentient Publications
- Laurie Schryver, psychic, teacher, progressive activist
- Robert Skutch, author
- Lee Skutch, psychologist
- Kanu Kogod, Ph.D, anthropologist, author, founder of Bridges in
- Debbie Milam, author, Reiki master, president of Unlimited Inspiration
- Rev. Laura R. Davis, co-founder of Wisdom & Wellness Expo,
- Rev. C.J. Davis, spiritual teacher, Reiki master,
- Elizabeth Ann Bloom, president of Here There & Beyond, Inc.
- Mary Alice O'Connor, interfaith minister
- Gina Rabbin, psychic, life and business coach
- Chetan Parkyn, author, spiritual teacher
- Carolina Eastwood, author, spiritual counselor
- Sister Mary Jude Jun, OSU is an Ursuline Sister
Robert Rabbin. the creator of this "Letter,"
is a writer, speaker, and spiritual activist. He is the author of
numerous books and articles, and the creator of TruthForPresident.org,
an online spiritual activism resource. Visit: www.robrabbin.com
© 2004/Robert Rabbin/All rights reserved